Tuesday, September 14, 2004

My Ride Chicago Experience: Part I - Preparation

In Illinois if one wants to learn how to ride a motorcycle and acquire the skills needed to pass the state's M test you have the choice of the free Illinois Cycle Rider Safety Training Program or now in the past few years, a couple private schools.

But why would someone pay $300 or even more to take private classes when there is a free option available?

Good question! It's all about supply and demand. It's hard as hell to get into the free program. If you don't sign up on the very DAY registration opens (mid-March) you will NOT be able to snag a spot in the class because the ENTIRE program for the ENTIRE year is booked up for the ENTIRE state of Illinois within 24 hours!! Then you have to waste every weekend by going up to a class location to see if someone doesn't show up so you can get in as a stand by. This might take several weekends to do since the people who were lucky enough to get a spot in the class know EXACTLY how hard it is to get into it... so.... unless they're dead or they've moved you're pretty much screwed!

I researched two private options. Ride-Chicago (RC) and Motorcycle Riding School (MRS) Both have classrooms in Chicago and both of their ranges use a United Center parking lot. Ride Chicago costs $295 + $40 for the first "M" test ($20 for any more attempts) while Motorcycle Riding School costs $375 with the first two "M" test attempts included.

MRS has been around since 2001 and has trained over 1,500 students. RC has been around since 2003 and has taught over 1,000.

I can't say that money wasn't a factor in this but it wasn't the deciding factor. I looked and looked for a review of either of the schools online but came up empty. That's part of the reason I'm writing this detailed account of my experience. Now... thanks to the power of the internet, a simple google search of Ride-Chicago or Ride Chicago pulls up my review on the very first results page!

Since I found no reviews, I based my choice mainly on the websites and the information they provided...

• The price was cheaper.

• I liked the fact that RC offered 1 on 1 instruction if needed, whereas MRS didn't. I figured there was a chance I'd need it.

• I liked that RC included pictures so I had some idea of what bikes they used and what the class looked like. After all, I did go to the local Honda dealership to play with the Rebel.

• Before I decided to buy my own helmet I liked the fact that RC's pics showed people in open face helmets while MRS said they provided all students with a full-face helmet. I wasn't sure if I'd be comfortable in a full-face helmet.

After some consideration, I decided to enroll in RC on their website and I picked the next open class which was one week later.

The Preparation: Things you need to know
Website: www.ride-chicago.com

Class Price: $295.00 (Using their facility & motorcycle. To take the State test is an additional $40)

Students must attend all classes. Missing or being late will automatically disqualify you.

Items you need to bring…

For the Classroom
• Your Driver's License
• Your Motorcycle Permit

For the Range
• Long denim pants
• Long sleeve shirt or jacket
• Over the ankle boots
• Sunglasses/glasses

To get the Illinois State Motorcycle Permit, download the study guide here and go to your local Illinois DMV to take the written test for it. The test was 15 questions and you can get up to 3 wrong and still pass. For the record…. I got 100%

My Preparation: Things I did to get ready before the class…

Gloves: Ride-Chicago provides gloves for those that don't have them but I decided to buy my own. Gloves was the easiest of the three items I wanted to buy for the class. While up in Harvard visiting Dave & Kay I stopped in at Harvard Motorsports. You can visit their very crappy website here.

I looked through their selection of gloves. It ranged from a really cheap $10 pair to over $100 for racing gloves, which I suspect were made to match the color & design of ones helmet. I decided on a $30 pair of Olympia’s. They’ve got reflective things on the knuckles and gel padding. I tried Medium which fit well but they were too tight in the pinky, so I decided on Large which was perfect on all fingers and just a tad too long in the thumb. I guess I’m right between sizes.

Boots: So… what the hell do I do about Boots? The last time I bought boots I was…. You know… come to think of it… I’ve NEVER bought myself a pair of boots! That must mean that the last time I had boots they were snow boots and I was in school! I forced Valerie to accompany me to Payless Shoes to buy a pair of work boots that would do the job until I find myself (and can afford) REAL motorcycle boots. We bought Stanley Steel Toe Work Boot - $29.99

In order to get used to boots again after a LOOOOONG hiatus, I wore them to work and on errands n shit and decided that they were too heavy for me. While Valerie & I were checking out the new Wal-Mart in Palatine (Dundee Road) a pair of Brahma Boots caught my eye. They were lighter and somewhat gym shoe like… even though they DO have steel toes. Anyway… they were like $21 so we bought them. The next day Valerie was able to return the ones from Payless, so all worked out in the end.

Helmet: Based on the pictures at Ride-Chicago’s website (all open-face) and the fact that I thought a full face helmet might be somewhat claustrophobic as a first helmet, I decided to look for an open-face helmet. Since going up to Harvard on Friday’s was becoming a routine on, Sept 10th, I decided to check out Harvard Motorsports for their selection.


The only open face helmet they sell is Bell’s Tourlite SC It's both DOT and SNELL approved. After trying it on in the store for a bit I decided to spend the $99 and buy it.

After wearing it a little more on Friday night and a bit on Saturday I learned to regret my buying decision. This wasn’t the helmet for me. I wanted to return the helmet the next day but they were closed Sunday & Monday.

As the new week started and time was drawing short, I had to make a decision. Buy a new helmet or wait to see if I can return the Bell helmet first?

First I had to find a helmet that I liked based strictly on style. Basically a 3/4 Helmet without the Bell’s cheek smushers.

Based on research on the internet I quickly found the HJC CS-5 which is also both DOT and SNELL approved. Also available in Wine.

Monday during lunch from work I called about 10 places locally to find out who had it in stock so I can try it on and buy it. No luck… call after call they either didn’t carry the HJC line or they didn’t have any of the CS-5’s in stock.

Since the CS-5 only cost $62.99, I decided to order it at http://www.helmetshop.com and hope for the best.

Now I know that it’s not really a good idea to buy a helmet without trying it on first but based on my size for the Bell helmet and comparing Bell’s & HJC’s sizing charts I decided to take the chance… time was short anyway. They told me I should get it by Wednesday.
After work Tuesday, again, I headed up to Harvard (I should have bought it locally dammit!) After a 90 minute drive up I headed to the store. They weren’t originally going to give me a refund for the helmet… they gave me some crap about returning a “used” helmet, but in the end… they decided that it was better to take it back than it was to piss off a new motorcycle rider.

The HJC helmet arrived the next day and it fit perfectly! So I was all set for class!

You should also note that Ride-Chicago does supply helmets (and gloves) but I didn't want to stick my head (and hands) into something that others have sweated heavily into.

Okay… Class Time!! On to Part II


© Copyright 2003-2008 Craig Miller All Rights Reserved