Monday, September 27, 2004

Response to some "My Ride Chicago Experience" e-mails...

It seems a lot of you are interested in what type of motorcycle I have. The answer is sad but simple... I don't have one yet.

I probably won't get a bike until early spring. I have a list of contenders but I want to see them all up close and personal before I narrow it down. The front runner I suppose... is the Honda Shadow VLX...

I also had a few e-mails about the State test and about Illinois Helmet laws. Let me take the helmet question first... as I understand it... there are only TWO states remaining that do NOT have helmet laws.... Illinois and Utah. Which seems really odd to me since Illinois is so strict about other things. And the lack of a helmet law certainly doesn't mean that I'm not going to wear one.

With regard to the state test.... A non-motorcycle rider e-mailed me indicating that the State test looks too easy. I imagine some find the test easy... but I'd bet that most find it difficult/challenging... I don't think it's a coincidence that of my group of 6 that there were only two first timers. Not to mention the fact that the test form has a space for it to indicate how many times you've taken the test before. I wonder if I'm in the minority of people who've passed on their first try. That said... you are more than welcome to try the test yourself and let me know what you think.

Some of you have asked me if anyone got hurt, wiped out, dumped the bike, etc. The answer, thankfully, is no.

Some have mentioned that this is one hell of a business.... I agree! If you stop for a second and think about the fact that RC has taught over 1,000 students. A little rough math suggests that 1000*295 = $295,000. The 14 bikes at let's say $3,500 a piece with taxes and shit would cost... $49,000. Minus other expenses like office rent, maintenance of the bikes, fees to the United Center (or whoever) for using that parking lot, the rental of the two sheds and a porta-potty and you're STILL looking in the ballpark of $200,000 in profit! Not a bad little business indeed!

By the way, I found an article about RC & MRS located here. It mentions that Brad is indeed a co-owner of Ride-Chicago... I wonder if that means that Chris is a co-owner too.

My Ride Chicago Experience
Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV & Part V

END OF LINE


© Copyright 2003-2008 Craig Miller All Rights Reserved