Thursday, September 23, 2004

My Ride Chicago Experience: Part V - Test Day

Thursday: 9/24/2004: Test Day!
Location: 185 S Damen (Damen & Monroe)

You can tell when the day's off to a lousy start when you're out the door and it's STILL dark outside! I HATE that... (unless I'm on my way to Disney or something)

I arrived at the Ride-Chicago range at 6:38am. I was surprised to see that not only was Brad there, but the bikes were all out and there were about 6-8 people already practicing in the range.

I met with Brad, gave him my $40 testing fee and he had me fill out 2 pieces of paperwork. One was the actual test form

Unfortunately the bike I rode over the weekend was already taken so I decided to hop on a Honda Rebel and give it a whirl... but after attempting one U-Turn.. I knew it wasn't going to work out. Not because it's a bad bike or anything (in fact I may buy one as my first bike) but because I didn't have time to get used to it for the test. I wanted to use the bike I rode during the class because I already "KNOW" that bike.

I told Brad that this bike wasn't going to work and he asked me which bike I wanted. I told him I wanted the Kawasaki... in fact I told him I wanted the one who's license plate ended in 715. He called some people back in and I was able to get the bike I wanted. Thanks Brad!

After driving around for a bit I began to wonder why we weren't practicing the ACTUAL test. We were practicing the skills on the range but not in the test box. Once most people were done practicing, I went to the end of the range and decided to practice on the actual test box. I hadn't used this box before, we were on the other side over the weekend.

I was able to try all 4 parts twice and was going to try round three when I heard Brad call my name. I made my way over to him. He said... "The testers are here now... Don't use the test boxes...." He further explained that it's just like the driver's range test... if you are caught practicing on the actual test zone/area on test day they can refuse to test you. I thanked him for telling me and went back to practicing in the range. I got my practice in anyway!

About 10 minutes later I saw that Brad and one of the testers were making their way down to the test box I was just using and the testing began. I decided my practice was over and I wanted to watch the test being performed. The way I felt at the time there wasn't anything I could have done at that point to improve anyway.... watching others being tested would either ease my stress or make it worse.... either way... it would ALL be over soon!

When the second tester from the Secretary of State's office made his way to the test box that I practiced on Sunday afternoon, I was added to the first group of 6 to test with him.

I was 4th out of 6.

The 5 of us talked as we watched #1 do his test.... I found out that of the 6 of us only 2 of us were 1st Timers. "I'm destined to fail my first time." I kept thinking.

As we watched the 2nd person go, we immediately noticed some errors and I said..."Well if they pass him, I KNOW that I can pass this test!" Because the guy screwed up the U-Turn and skipped a cone in the swerve.

When he was done we did a Thumbs up/Thumbs down to get his results. He gave a thumbs down.... he failed.

Needless to say, my blood pressure was pretty high at this point. I was #4 and #3 had just started.

At this point Brad came over from the other side and asked how things were here. We told him that #1 Passed and #2 failed.

#6 told Brad and I that this tester was a "Jag-off" and he failed him last week. "Oh great." I said.... just what I needed to hear!

"You can turn your bike off if you want" Brad mentioned.

"No... I'm next." My voice pretty much whispered.

I told Brad and #6 about my dreams this week. Or as King Théoden said in "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers", "Dark have been my dreams of late"........ I've had dreams the past 4 nights about taking the test and in every one of them I failed.

He told me to relax and offered me gum. I declined.

About a minute later #3 was complete... he passed. It was my turn... there was NO backing out now! My heart was pounding as hard as ever... My throat became very dry and I was as stressed as hell.

I pulled my bike over to the first "T" starting point. If it wasn't over soon I was sure to collapse. lol

After our pleasant good mornings and how are you doing's he asked...

"Are you nervous?"

"Ummmm... YES!" then I told him my dream story. He patted me on the back of my left shoulder and said "You're going to do just fine!"

You can lose a total of 10 points total in all 4 parts, if you exceed 10 points you fail. You also will instantly fail if you drop the bike or pop a wheelie. Putting your foot down for balance is 5 points, hitting your first cone is 3 points, your second is five points. Going outside the lines will cost you points too but I don't recall how many. For parts 1 & 2 you only have ONE chance to do it. I'll explain about 3 & 4 in a bit.



The State of Illinois Motorcycle License Test Part 1:

From the starting point, ride up the course, making a sharp left turn through the lines without touching the lines or putting your foot down. Continue around the far side of the course, making a smooth, non-skidding stop with your front tire inside the box. These exercises test the rider’s ability to start smooth, negotiate a sharp left turn and come to a smooth stop in a designated area.

The tester explained to me what I needed to do for part 1 and asked if I had any questions. "No."

"Relax.... take a deep breath."

I complied....

"Start when ever you're ready."

I took a breath and began Part 1. I nailed it PERFECTLY! Not a single deduction! I was feeling a smidge better but I knew that the REAL HARD ONE WAS NEXT!!



The State of Illinois Motorcycle License Test Part 2:

From the starting point, weave to the left of the first dot and right of the second. Continue weaving past the dots without touching the dots or putting your foot down. Ride to the far side of the course and make a right U-turn in the U-turn box. The turn must be made within 20 feet. These exercises test the rider's ability to balance and control the cycle and the ability to perform a U-turn.

As you can certainly tell... this is the HARD one. This is the one that my boss fucked up on and failed when he tried it years ago. Again, the tester explained what I needed to do and asked me if I had any questions. I was so nervous, I was almost to the point of shaking... this was the MAKE IT OR BREAK IT of the test....

"Start when ever you're ready."

I pulled away and time seemed to slow down. I was able to maneuver around EVERY cone with out missing or hitting any. I approached the 90 degree right turn and nailed it without a hitch. My heart raced as I approached the dreaded U-Turn. I concentrated, gave it some gas when I needed to and stopped exactly where I needed to stop. If there was ever a moment to yell "YES!!!!" that was the time... but at that point my mouth was so dry I couldn't.

The tester approached me and said.... "Very good." and we moved on to Part 3.



The State of Illinois Motorcycle License Test Part 3:

From the starting point, ride through the "timing chute" at approximately 15 mph When your front tire reaches the end of the chute, bring your cycle to a stop as safely and quickly as possible. (At 15 mph you should stop in at least 13 feet.) This tests the rider's ability to bring the cycle to a sudden stop.

You get 2 tries with this one if you don't get up to the proper speed. Since the starting "T" is on an incline you really need to gun it to make it up to the proper speed by the line.

At the starting "T" I took a deep breath and gunned it.... as soon as I hit the line I engaged the front and rear brake as hard as I could without locking them up..... another reason I wanted to use THAT specific bike. Zero deductions. It didn't take him long to come over and describe part 4....



The State of Illinois Motorcycle License Test Part 4:

From the starting point, ride through the chute at approximately 15 mph When your front tire reaches the end of the chute, swerve to the right or left to avoid the red obstacle line and then cut back in without crossing or touching the red sidelines. This evaluates the rider's ability to avoid obstacles by swerving right or left.

You also get 2 tries with this one if you don't get up to the proper speed. Since the starting "T" is on an incline again... you really need to gun it to make it up to the proper speed by the line.

He explained that it was my choice to go right or left, stay away from the blue lines and stop near the end of the box... I didn't have to stop inside the box (I already knew that... it would require emergency braking if I had to and we already did that exercise)

He waved me to begin so I gunned it. I decided to go left so I counter-steered to the left. I stopped the bike just where I should have.

The tester stood about 6 feet behind me and he wasn't coming up yet. I just sat there on the bike thinking... "He didn't take that long with the first 3.... Hmmmmmmm"

He walked up to me and said... "Congratulations… You Passed!"

I shook his hand and said Thank you! He signed and stamped the paper I needed to turn into the DMV and I was on my way. Happier than a pig in shit! Not only did I pass... I didn't lose a SINGLE POINT!!

I rode to where I saw Brad and he said.. "Way to go... you ACED it!, I knew you could do it!"

"I couldn't have done it without you."

"You did the riding... all I did was show you the right way."

"And without that, I certainly would be here right now.... thank you." I shook his hand.

I rode to where bikes are parked, flipped the kill switch, turned the key off, kicked down the kick stand and dismounted the bike, the good ol' Kawasaki. The first motorcycle I had ever ridden.

I headed to my Blazer and drove to the DMV to get my new M endorsement. What a day!

Final Thoughts: I couldn't have asked for 3 more beautiful days for the range days. I really lucked out with the weather! Before you even ask... YES... I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Ride-Chicago! I couldn't have asked for better teachers than Brad & Chris. They both had a teaching style that instilled confidence which led me to push myself to do things I never thought I could do. (counter-steering for one... it's scary as hell that first time.)

If you have the desire to learn how to ride a motorcycle, don't wait. Sign up ASAP or one day you'll wake up a 50 year old and say... I wish I would have done that years ago. For me... I have no regrets... I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

http://www.ride-chicago.com


On to Response to E-Mails


© Copyright 2003-2008 Craig Miller All Rights Reserved