Wednesday, September 10, 2008

App Store Purchases...

Darren sent me a link the other day to a Chicago Tribune article about a new affliction called appiphilia. Now unlike the author I haven't downloaded 80 apps. Nor have I spent $90 since its launch... but I have made a few purchases. A 1/3 of them today alone.



It started with the early opening of the app store the day before its official launch date of July 11th.

For those willing to download and install an early release copy of the iPhone firmware on Apple's website (unofficially), they could install and play with new apps the day before it's official launch.

I was among the MANY I assume bought Super Monkey Ball that day for $9.99. I'm sure the vast majority of people who saw the App Store keynote and the demo of Super Money Ball were eager to try one of the coolest App Store launch apps.




Later that evening I purchased, iBeer for $2.99 and Comic Touch for $4.99. A few days later, and after restoring the iPhone with the REAL and OFFICIAL firmware, I bought another app... Texas Hold'em for $4.99. By that night I had also downloaded 28 free apps to screw around with (and sometimes delete).



About 2 weeks later I tried the free version of Labyrinth and then a couple of days later bought the full version for $6.99.

A few weeks later when Koi Pond went #1 on the paid side of the store, I (along with LOTS of others apparently) decided hell, it's only 99¢ I'll give it a try!


I didn't buy a another 'paid app' until today. I was perusing the store and came across Cro-Mag Rally for a too low to resist price of $1.99 (80% off of the app store launch price of $9.99). There was a note on Cro-Mag's page that mentioned that all of Pangea Software's apps were on sale. Having some interest in Enigmo at launch but not $10's worth of interest, the 50% off was too hard to resist and at $4.99, I bought that too.

Lastly, I looked at Pangea's other title called Billy Frontier it was on sale for $3.99. Down from its normal price of $5.99. Ok, not that big of a discount, but I was on a roll, give me a break! But it looks like I could have got it for only $2.99 had I seen the app when it first came out.

So let's ring up a total.... $41.91 + tax. Yes, iTunes charges me tax for apps but not for music. Strange. Anyway, between free and paid apps it looks like I'm around 60. So on second thought, I'm not too far behind that guy from the tribune after all!


© Copyright 2003-2008 Craig Miller All Rights Reserved