Wednesday, September 10, 2008

TV Shows I'm watching this season...


This is not my first complete season in HD (that was last year in the bedroom) We got the TV for the living room last Christmas so this will be the first (complete) TV season that I'll have a nice big HDTV to watch in the living room.

As some of you know, I'm rather picky about new TV shows. The normal rule I've used the past several years is I won't watch a new show that I'm interested in until it gets picked up for season 2. (with the internet, it's real easy to track that shit) I've been burned too many times by networks who don't give a new show a chance and just as I begin to get interested in the story, they pull the plug. It's like reading a book and having half of the pages pulled out and burned before you can read them...

Firefly - Canceled on its first season without an acceptable ending.
John Doe - Canceled on its first season without an acceptable ending.
Harsh Realm - Canceled on its first season without an acceptable ending.
The Lone Gunmen - Canceled on its first season without an acceptable ending.
Mr. & Mrs. Smith - Canceled on its first season without an acceptable ending.

The rule doesn't save me from a network canceling a show without a proper ending in a later season...

Joan of Arcadia - Canceled without an acceptable ending.
Dark Angel - Canceled without an acceptable ending.
Early Edition - Canceled without an acceptable ending.
Boston Public - Canceled without an acceptable ending.

...but at least I won't bother getting into a new show at all if the network has no faith in it to give it a second season. This rule has saved me time. There are several shows I didn't waste my time with due to this rule. I've skipped shows that at least mildly interested me... Blade, Commander in Chief, Daybreak, Invasion, Lyon's Den, Karen Sisco, Journeyman, The Nine, K-Ville, Bionic Woman, Moonlight, etc. The most recent of which was Women's Murder Club on ABC. I've read every "Women's Murder Club" book by James Patterson but since ABC had no faith for a second season, why should I watch a single episode?

Then of course I'll throw my cheap shot at David Chase just because I'm as asshole...

The Sopranos - Don't Stop.................. without an acceptable ending, Jerk Off!

There are many more but off the top of my head, I can't remember what they are.

Anyway... here's my list of TV shows I'm watching this season. It's broken down in a few categories...
Shows I Watch Religiously...
Heroes - (kids will watch it with me)
Lost
The Office - (kids will watch it with me)
Prison Break
The Shield - (sadly not in HD)
Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles
Weeds - (almost done)
24 - (been waiting a LONG time for the new season!)
Ghost Whisperer - (kids will watch it with me)
South Park
Mythbusters
Nip/Tuck - (not sure when the next season starts up)
Rescue Me - (not sure when the next season starts up)

New shows that I am/might be giving a chance this season...
Fear Itself - (all stand alone stories, so I broke my "2nd Season Pickup" rule - all eps already aired)
True Blood - (I broke my rule here for 3 reasons. 1. Anna Paquin, 2. Vampires, 3. It's HBO)
Fringe - (Rule in full effect. I'm recording it on my DVR... Time will tell if I will actually watch it.)
Destroyed in Seconds - (Discovery Channel show... the rule doesn't count on non-scripted shows. And it sounds like more fun than Smash Lab!)
Sons of Anarchy - (2nd Season Pickup rule applies. I'm not recording it. In the event it's picked up for a 2nd season and reviews aren't half bad, I will torrent it.)
My Own Worst Enemy - (2nd Season Pickup rule applies. I'm not recording it. In the event it's picked up for a 2nd season and reviews aren't half bad, I will torrent it.)
90210 - (Valerie is watching it, as is most of my office. The 2nd Season Pickup will apply for me.)

I will watch if I have the time (guilty pleasures)
Cops (in HD only)
Dog the Bounty Hunter (if not in stretch-o-vision YOU SUCK A&E!)
Modern Marvels (HD only and if topic is of interest)
Unwrapped (HD only and if topic is of interest)
American Chopper (if I'm really hard up for something to watch)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but that's the list for now. It might seem like a lot of TV but at least it's good TV. My list isn't filled with 90%+ crappy reality tv shows like others I know.


© Copyright 2003-2008 Craig Miller All Rights Reserved